1 ½ pounds of our Sliced Smoked Bacon
1 cup sweet onion (finely chopped)
4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ cup bourbon
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
- Cook the bacon until it is crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess fat off.
- Pulse your onions and garlic in the food processor (or cut them by hand).
- Leave about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the fat in one of the pan. Add the garlic and onion to the pan, cook over medium heat until they start to caramelize.
- Add the chili powder and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- Increase heat to high and add the bourbon (carefully) and maple syrup. Bring to a boil, stir and scrape the pan so all the little bacon bits comes loose. Continue boiling for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar and brown sugar, continue to boil for about 3 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces (or crumble it for a rustic look).
- Toss the bacon into the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, the mixture will thicken and look jam like in the process.
- After removing it from the heat, you have two options — you can put the mixture into a food processor and pulse until it breaks down more, or you can leave it chunkier.
- Transfer to jars and store in the fridge.
Enjoy on burgers, over sausage, with crackers, on a cheese display — so many options!